The National Fire Protection Association's Life Safety Code (NFPA 101) requires the installation and maintenance of exit emergency lighting under Section 5-8" Illumination of Means of Egress" and the installation of exit signs under Section 5-10 "Marking of Means of Egress". OSHA also requires emergency lighting under Section 1910.36 of the Occupational Safety and Health Act.
The Life Safety Code also requires a test on all emergency lighting monthly. Annual inspection and testing is also required by NFPA 70 and the National Electric Code. Both Codes require written test records be kept for inspection by the Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ).
* Monthly Checklist
* Press test button for 30 seconds monthly to test integrity of the battery and light
* Check each light for physical damage
* Check alignment of beams and adjust if necessary
* Check AC and charge lamps if applicable
** OSHA Required Annual Inspection
* 90 minute full functional test
* Disconnect AC power supply to each unit
* Check battery and lens for corrosion
* Clean unit and lens
* Adjust beam for proper alignment
* Check charging system voltage
* Check battery voltage output
** Annual maintenance in accordance with NFPA 101, NFPA 70, and OSHA 1910.36